Bonifield &
Get your free consultation today!

618-215-2412 local

866-223-2525 toll free

If you work as a nanny or maid, you might find yourself driving your employer's children to school and other events. You might also find that you're running different errands for your employer, like buying groceries and doing other kinds of shopping.

Have you ever thought to consider what would happen if you got injured in a car accident during one of these sojourns? You might want to make sure that your employer is insured, and that the insurance covers your injuries. Double-checking on this could save your job and your relationship with your employer in the future.

What are your workers' compensation rights as a nanny?

Your employer may be legally obligated to pay for your injuries if you get into an on-the-job car accident. Even if the accident was your fault -- if you got into the crash and suffered the injuries during the course and scope of your employment -- your employer could be liable to pay for your medical care and lost income due to time spent unable to work.

Problems may arise if your employer doesn't have workers' compensation insurance because your employer will need to pay for your injuries out of his or her pocket. If your employer can't afford the cost of your medical care, you could be out of luck. Alternatively, your employer might not want to pay for your medical care out of pocket -- and that could require you to file a lawsuit to get the compensation you deserve.

Illinois law actually requires the employers of domestic workers to maintain workers' compensation insurance. However, many of these jobs are informal in nature, and families employing a nanny or domestic laborer never fulfill this requirement.

As you might imagine, therefore, if your employer doesn't carry workers' compensation insurance to pay for your injuries in the event of a work-related accident, it could seriously strain your relationship with him or her in the unlikely event you suffer an injury.

The Injured Worker Benefit Fund might be able to help

If you're suffering from injuries, and your employer won't -- or can't -- pay for them, you might be able to qualify for compensation support through the Injured Worker Benefit Fund. This fund exists to help pay for medical care when an employer fails to do so. In order to qualify for these benefits, injured workers will need to satisfy various reporting requirements.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Schedule Your Free Consultation Please call 866-223-2525 or complete the intake form below

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Bonifield & Rosenstengel
16 East Main Street
Belleville, IL 62220

Toll Free: 866-223-2525
Phone: 618-215-2412
Fax: 618-277-5155
Belleville Law Office Map