Answers To Common Workers’ Compensation Questions

After an accident at work, you probably have many questions — about your medical treatment, your finances and your legal rights. At Bonifield & Rosenstengel, P.C., in Belleville, we have helped injured workers all over southern and central Illinois safeguard their rights and find peace of mind.

If our FAQ does not answer your question, please consider scheduling a free initial consultation to speak one-on-one with one of our lawyers. We will take as much time as it takes to ensure you understand your rights and feel comfortable moving forward.

Q: Is my injury eligible for workers’ compensation benefits?
With a few exceptions, most injuries incurred in the course or scope of your employment are compensable under Illinois workers’ compensation laws. These include accidents occurring at the workplace as well as offsite locations, as long as you were performing your job or activities connected with your job.

Q: What should I do after a workplace accident?
There are several steps that can help you protect your rights. Your health is the most important thing so it is wise to see a doctor as soon as possible. You are also required to notify your employer of your injury within 45 days. Learn more about what to do after a work injury.

Q: Can I see my own doctor?
While some states grant employers control over injured employees’ medical treatment, Illinois law allows you to see a doctor of your own choice. Do not wait for your employer to send you to a doctor; see a health care professional right away to begin treatment.

Q: Do I need a lawyer?
While some attorneys may insist that you need to retain them for any work injury claim, we know from experience that is not always the case. During your free consultation, we may find that you can easily resolve your claim yourself, or we may advise you to wait and see how your claim develops. There is no cost to speak with one of our attorneys and get a professional opinion based on decades of experience.